Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Birthday Dinner Challenge, Day One

My wife's birthday is on Monday and I have been given the task of preparing her a birthday dinner on Sunday. We're looking at multiple courses, bottles of wine, hours of preparation, things I've never done before. Who knows what those things will be, though, as I have no menu.

I checked the new Mario Batali cookbook out of the library to get some ideas, and in the process made fettucini carbonara for dinner tonight, but I'm a little wary of 'cuttlefish with chickpeas.' The wife looked through the book and said it all sounded good to her, but I know secretly she wants me to recreate a ravioli she had over our honeymoon. I've never made pasta before, much less ravioli. That shit is crazy.

I will certainly be hitting up Wegman's to see if they have any specials on game hens or something. Last time I did that I ended up spending like $30 on one meal featuring a cheese plate that smelled like burning tires driving through a peat bog and salmon that was straight from TGI Fridays in Des Moines.

So what will she get? Steak au Poivre with blanched asparagus under shallot foam? Short ribs cooked in wine more expensive than my entire wardrobe? Waffles?

I'm not sure but I aim to find out.

No comments: